Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Patio

Due to the fact that today the weather gods decided to throw us a bone and make it 17 degrees in March, I decided to document the sad state that is my balcony. See, I live in a tiny condo, so the balcony is a wonderful way to expand my living space on nice days- especially since not everyone gets to even have a balcony! But I never seem to use mine. The first summer I moved in I bought lots of pretty furniture and then used it only a handful of times over the past two years.

Here is what I started with:


It was very appealing at first glance- seating for 4 people, lots of space for hanging out with the table folded down. However after one year, one of the chairs broke and the cushions faded to a fugly red.

but worst of all- I NEVER SAT OUT THERE!!

Imagine yourself sitting out there and you will soon realize why- while it was great for entertaining, it was not suitable to kicking back with a book and getting some fresh air. There was no where to curl up, and the cement floor isn't exactly inviting.

So step one: buy a good reading chair
Step two: figure out flooring
Step three: switch up the colour (I'm so over red)
Step four: accessorize!

Here is where I am now:

whomp. whomp.

Ya, it sucks. Despite the awesomeness of my giant yellow chair, the rest of the patio is sucking the life out of it! So on my to-do list is restaining that table (see how weirdly faded it is?), finding a new chair cushion, accessorizing, and figuring out a rug/flooring.

A permanent solution with installing wood floors would be ideal, but I'm not hiding a table saw in my condo and look at how awkward that patio is shaped! So I think it will be a project for next summer when my dad may be off work and looking for things to saw for his darling daughter (insert sweet face).

For now, I would like to find a good outdoor rug. I loooove this one from West Elm:
(source: www.westelm.com)

But alas, it is not available in Canada! And my search for a similar item has turned up nothing. So I'm hoping in a month or two when patio furniture comes out, I will find something equally as lovely.

So that is where my patio ended up as of today. I'll leave you with something much prettier picture to feast your eyes on: my view :)

I hope everyone else is enjoying the sunshine!!

5 comments:

  1. I do love that outdoor flooring. Would look great hear too but alas, we northerners get screwed more often than not on selection. Damn the border!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find us some beautiful outdoor rugs this season- don't you worry!

      Delete
  2. My first thought was: 17 degrees?! And then I remembered you're in Canada. And I would love that view, if only for the G4 logo and dish in the center of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I need to learn how to do is hack into those dishes and get free cable

      Delete
  3. We could get some dynamite and blow Canada Malting some night!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover