Monday, December 2, 2013

Ripley's Aquarium and My Niece's 2nd Birthday!

This weekend was my niece's 2nd birthday! I am still not sure how it happened, because I could swear she was just a tiny baby and suddenly she is a little girl! I thought it would be fun to take her to the new aquarium to look at all the fishes as a special birthday treat. However, when her parents and grandpa found out they wanted to go too so we all took a big family trip!

I pre-bought our tickets online, which was awesome because the line up for tickets was huge! We just walked right in. Super cute story- she said my name for the first time while they were waiting for me in the parking lot!! Very exciting :)

She LOVED the aquarium! She ran from tank to tank in the North American area and told me that the lobsters were "yummy". So cute (and true). Then from there you go to the tropical fish area and there is a moving sidewalk that takes you through- the fish are on both sides AND above you, which was really cool. She started running away (you would think 4 adults could keep up with one two year old, but no), so she got put back in the stroller and her interest in some froot loops won out over fish.


After the tropical section, we found ourselves in a big play area with a some food available. It was a great break for little kids, with lots of tubes, slides, and interactive displays. She definitely wore her little legs out here. It was really crowded so one of us stuck by her side the whole time so she wouldn't be lost! I have heard Sunday nights are quieter so I might go then some time again (it would be nice to actually stop and learn about the fish haha).



After the play area were the manta rays. Maddy loved them as they came right up to the tank! She pretended to be scared and would yell "Ah!" at each one. 


Finally we came to the jellyfish!! I had been looking forward to this one. The tank was soooo cool. It was all flat and had no background. They would shine lights to light up the jellyfish different colours. The effect was really cool and Maddy kept reaching out for them.


Overall, the aquarium was really cool. It took us about 2 hours to get through, but we were running after a 2 year old, so I think if you were taking your time it would be closer to 3 hours. I think she really enjoyed it, but it might be better when she is a little older and we can trust her not to run away :). I think it got pretty boring when she was in a stroller.

After the aquarium we headed home and I went to help my dad clean up for the family birthday party he was hosting the next day. I don't have many pictures of the party since I was handling my dad's camera, but it was a lot of fun!!



Happy birthday my favourite little lady!!!

6 comments:

  1. Great review. Glad you had fun :) The best days to go are Tuesday to Thursdays, any time during the day but it tends to quiet down around dinner. Saturdays and Sundays are nuts but it sounds like you got lucky with no line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went on a Friday, which was busy, but not "weekend busy"

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I wanna go! That looks awesome. I have been afraid it would be too busy. Perhaps over the holidays when I can go on a weekday. I've never been to an aquarium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadnt either!! It was really busy, but still enough room to enjoy. We got right up to a lot of the tanks without issue

      Delete
  3. I really want to go! Was it busy? I heard the weekends are packed! So, I'm waiting for the hype to die down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should have read the above comment first. Opps. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover