Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Homemade Catnip Toys

I have two adorable kitties that live with my dad. They came into my life in the summer of 2009 when my roommate had to remove them from a bad home. I didn't want them in my life because I was getting over a cat who had just passed away days before.

But they wormed their way into my hearts- because just look at them!!
Awww
When my roommate and I split our ways neither of us were in a good position to take the kitties so they ended up living with my dad (where they have consistently annoyed him to death for the past 4 years). He spoils them to death, but I do like to add in my own little present for Christmas for them every year- usually cheaply! I think last year I just bought them a ton of treats. Another year I wrapped them up some "homemade" paper balls and ribbons, which were a big hit.

This year I went with something a little more difficult, but still on the budget side of things!

These were kind of thrown together after I found some catnip at the dollar store and wondered if I could make the kitties some toys for their Christmas presents this year. They were really easy!

For this project you will need:
  • Felt
  • Catnip
  • Marker for marking our your cuts (I didn't end up using mine)
  • Fabric scissors
  • Stuffing fluff

For the snowflake one I cut out two blue squares and two strips of white felt. I free-styled the design on one of the squares, sewing as I went. Then I sewed the two blue squares together, right sides in, leaving one side unsewn. After that you can turn it right-side out and stuff it! I rolled my stuffing in catnip to make it smell delicious to little kitties! I ended up putting in a LOT of catnip :)


Once you have stuffed, just sew the last side closed and Bam- you have a genuine, homemade, kitty toy that is guaranteed to win you all the loves on Christmas morning.


I wish I had a kitty around right now to test these bad boys out, but I don't think they will disappoint! If they ignore them I will just throw them across the room- that always gets their attention.

Have you ever made a toy for your cat? Dog? Chinchilla?

2 comments:

  1. Your sweet DIY skills impress me so much. I used to be really into crafting and making things, but I seem to have gotten more lazy over the years. Winnie will be lucky if she gets a ball of tinfoil for Christmas (lucky because tinfoil balls are her favourite things in the entire world!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wrap up a whole box of tinfoil and she will love you forever. :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover