Monday, November 11, 2013

Bathroom Shelving!

On Saturday I went up to Barrie with my dad and niece to visit my grandma for a couple of hours. I had to get up super early (gross), but it was a really nice visit and Maddy was soooo cute that all the staff kept on giving her toys and snacks. You never know which way a two year old will act, but I think she made my Grandma's day!

Anyway, after our visit we came back to Pickering and I asked my dad if we could swing by Lowes so we could finally get those darn shelves for my bathroom. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have one size I wanted in stock, but I ended up getting two 24x8" glass shelves, which turned out just fine (I originally wanted a shallower shelf for over the toilet)! The website said they had 24x6" in stock, but there weren't any on the shelf and I had no desire to flag an employee down to help. Oh well!

They ended up being a bit pricier than I had planned too. In the picture on their website it showed the brackets, so I thought they were included in the price, but they weren't included and they weren't cheap! All in all, my Lowe's trip for two shelves and a hook came to about $90 with tax ($10ish hook, $40ish for each shelf). However, sometimes in life you just gotta spend the money to get the outcome you want!

I got the hook installed on the door pretty easily. Thankfully the screws it came with were the perfect depth size for the door! I love that I now have a place to hang my housecoat again- it has been driving me nuts since I took away the over the door hanger (the over-door one banged the wall and I didn't want to ruin my new paint job). This new hook can lie flat when not in use, which works great for the sliver of space between the door and wall.

It is centered, I just had to use my wide angle lens here to get the shot


Putting up the shelves was a whole other story!! I followed the directions on the package for the brackets, but they came with terrible anchors. They had no lip and just sunk too deep in the drywall (there were no studs where I needed them!). I gave up on them and grabbed some other 1/4 anchors I had on hand, but the brackets are NOT secure to the wall now either. My dad suggested that the screws might be too thin for these different anchors, even though both anchors were 1/4. Argh!! So I am going to go to Canadian Tire and pick up some fat, flat-head screws (I only have round-head ones in a fatter size, which won't lie flat with the bracket). Super annoying!! So I kind of just staged these photos, but I wouldn't put anything heavy of them until I get those new screws!!

Installed
Ignore my sexy elbow
Evil Bracket

I tell you, sometimes I feel cursed that I can't even seem to do the simplest install job! I laugh when friends comment on how handy I am, because I am the only one who knows about all the holes they can't see and how long it took me to put it up! Not to mention how many phone calls I make to my dad. But I am slowly and steadily getting better at this whole DIY thing and that is all that matters :)

Also, it is really funny to me how big the bathroom looks in these photos- Wide angle lens for the win!! Even though it lies, the wide angle is the best way to get it all in a shot. So just remember the room is only a few square feet in reality.

Now all that is left to do in here is a bit of art and a new trash can. I struggle with finding the right size trash can, so we shall see how long it takes to get these room DONE. :)

17 comments:

  1. Looking good in there! I'm just getting around to adding some shelving to our new bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, life would be boring if everything was always perfect. hehe But in my eyes, the bathroom looks AMAZING and I would happily move in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hook you chose - I have one that sticks out - I wish I had looked around a bit more for the folding kind- great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it was a good find. I was originally looking for the normal kind too

      Delete
  4. I like the glass shelving! I also want to add some shelves to my bathroom and never considered glass. I like the look of them...I also have that cute silver owl...and now think I will be moving him to my bathroom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that owl, even if everyone has one! He moves all over the place

      Delete
  5. I hope you got your shelves anchored for they are really cute! I feel your pain about the garage can. We eventually just put it under the sink because I was tired of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mine too often to do that! I like ease. haha

      Delete
  6. We've been looking for so long for a specific length glass shelve for our bathroom that we're convinced it doesn't exist. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowes had a pretty good selection of sizes and shapes!

      Delete
  7. Nothing is ever easy - I can totally relate! PS I love your shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your wall colour!! - Emilija

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE how your bathroom is turning out! those shelves are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing my talented niece! S

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing! Love the wall colour. Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover