Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Anything Goes!

About a month ago, my friend Erika called me up and asked if I wanted to go see the musical Anything Goes. She had a coupon for buy one get one free tickets, but she certainly didn't need that to convince me! Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE musical theatre! I think I have pretty much seen every major production that has come to Toronto. Tickets are expensive here (about $100-$130 for orchestra seats), but it is one of those splurges that I always allow myself. I probably go to about 3 shows a year, so it adds up but so worth it!

After a hilarious session of both of us being incapable of purchasing tickets online (first we forgot to enter the code, then we picked a date the code didn't work on, then I entered the tickets wrong....it was comical), we got good seats for the show on the 23rd!

First though, we had dinner at Dunns . I don't think I have ever gone to the theatre without eating out first. It is just one of those things. And it was nice to catch up with Erika, who I hadn't seen in ages.

The theatre had a photo session spot, so naturally we took advantage of that.


Yes, Erika bought a sailor shirt because she is awesome like that

She even has a little minion toy that she takes pictures of everywhere she goes. I wish she had a flickr account I could share because the shots on her FB are so entertaining.


But of course, no photography during the show, so we sat back and watched after this!

I had ZERO idea what this show is about. I love shows where I don't know the plot and I make a point to read nothing about a show, not even reviews, until after I have seen it.

I just LOVED it! It is a 1930s play (revived with slight changes) set on a cruise ship going to England from America. I don't want to give anything away, but it basically a classic love triangle (or rather, square...or maybe hexagon?) and a whole bunch of shenanigans occur on the way to everyone sorting it all out and getting with the right person. The play was actually REALLY funny too and I found myself laughing outloud at various parts- which isn't usually like me. I was captivated the whole time! Some of the musical numbers were a little long for my taste, but the dancing was beautiful! At one point there is a really long (I think Erika said nine minutes?) tap dance that didn't feel long at all because it was so good.



All I can say about Anything Goes is that it's Delightful, it's Delicious, it's De-Lovely :)

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover