Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Bought a Bike!

We can call it Spring now, because I finally got me some wheels!

This is my new Schwinn Hydra 700C Hybrid Bike. I shall name her Berta and she shall be mine, and she shall be my Berta. I don't have any pictures of me ON said bike, however, because I left it at Canadian Tire to be picked up on a day when it isn't raining cats and dogs. I only bought it on a rainy day because the sale on it was ending. Plus I figured less people would be buying bikes on a rainy day and therefore I would get good service.

I actually did get help straight away from a nice sales associate who showed me some options and even took me around with suggestions for helmets, bells, locks, and lights. I knew I wanted the bike I got, however, because it had such great reviews online so I am happy with my purchase! I can't wait to have it all settled and in my hands.

I am a little nervous about biking through downtown to bring the bike from Canadian Tire to my condo, especially during rush hour. I am not afraid of the Toronto streets, I am afraid of the cars that don't take care around bikes. I have lived in Toronto long enough to have seen cars and bikes not sharing the roads well and I know both sides can be at fault, but as a bicyclist I have no control over the drivers around me. If you are thinking of biking in Toronto and are nervous, the city offers biking courses! Right now I am feeling confident enough to give it a go on my own.

As well, here the rules of the road for bikes in Ontario. Great advice on changing lanes and making turns!

FYI- the last time I was on a bike was Oct 2011. I rode a giant bike in The Netherlands (Alkmaar to some other city whose name I forgot for those that are interested) for 20km and it rained most of the way. I think I can manage biking in the city. 

When we arrived at our destination it stopped raining




9 comments:

  1. Hooray for buying a bike! And just in time for the snow. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet wheels!!

    I'm so nervous for bicyclists here in Honolulu. I think the rule of thumb is to follow the rules for cars?

    It helps to have confidence. I appreciate a bike rider who knows where they're going, can give me a signal, and commits. Wishy-washiness just confuses everybody.

    But you sound like you know what you're doing. Whoo hoo for new wheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya the rules are pretty similar, just a lot of onus on bikers not to put themselves in dangerous situations where a car may not see them.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh, I haven't been bike riding in years! I used to do it all. the. time. when I was younger! Have a blast with Berta! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a grear time! I so want a bike to my quaint downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bike! If only it would stop the constant raining so we could have some Spring weather!! Glad to have found another Ontario blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky girl! I want a new bike really badly! My one requirement is that it's pink and has a basket. (I guess that's two requirements...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is neither of those things! but I guess I could paint...

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover