Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sporting Life 10K!

Guess who is a crazy person and signed up for a 10K race on a whim today?
*points at self*
THIS GUY!

Yup. Today at work I came across some website talking about the Sporting Life 10K Run for Kids with Cancer and somehow I was so inspired I signed up! I have never run a 10K before, but I have done two 5Ks, so I think with training I can manage to run an extra 5K.



Did I also mention that the race is on my birthday? Normally I wouldn't want to torture myself on my birthday, but for the past few weeks I have really been working to find a balance with food and exercise in my life and I don't think there is any better start to my 27th year than doing this run.

I thought I would share the training program I am going to use. I tried to find a good Ipad app but I really couldn't find the right one for me (and I didn't want to pay for an app without seeing it if worked for me). I didn't want to do a Couch to 10K program because I can already run 30 minutes without stopping, on a good day. I did find this one online for free called "Bridge to 10K". It is great because it is only 6 weeks long (I have 10 weeks to whip my butt into shape), it is designed for people that can run 5K (I can!), and is only 3 days a week!

The Program:
Each workout includes a 5 minute warmup walk and 5 minute cooldown walk
Week 1 Duration: 53 min.
Run 10 min/walk 1 min Repeat x 4.
Week 2 Duration: 57 min.
Run 15 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
Week 3 Duration: 63 min.
Run 17 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
Week 4 Duration: 66 min.
Run 18 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
Week 5 Day 1: Duration: 55 min. Run 22 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 2: Duration: 61 min. Run 25 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 3: Duration: 71 min. Run 30 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.
Week 6 Duration: 70 min.
Run 60 min.

Today I did my first workout and it was HARD. I wasn't in the mood to work out and it was 10 minutes longer than I would normally run for on a treadmill. But I stuck with it and in the end I had gone 6.4km!! I work much better with set goals and I like working in times rather than distances because it is easier for me to track.

I plan to do my run 3 days a week and add in weight training 2-3 days a week to build up my strength.

My goal is to do the 10K in under 1 hour because the registration made me say how long I would take to run it so I said under 1 hour because I had NO idea how long it takes me to run 10K. haha. So 1 hour is my goal! However being able to finish the run is the most important thing to me right now, even if I am not that fast.


Right now I am working on the treadmill because I don't like running in the cold or the dark (#canadianproblems). But hopefully once it warms up I will be able to hit the pavement for some "real" running. Maybe when my 6 weeks of this program are up!

Wish me luck!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you are amazing! I admire your motivation and your goal to run a 10k. I tried the Couch to 5k program once. Haha, it lasted a week I think?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is actually signing up for a race so i CANT give up or I will be embarrassed on the day of the run!

      Delete
  2. I'm signed up for that race too. I aven't actualy started trining yet though. I don't have acess to a treadmill, so i'll have to do it outside :( Hope the snow goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya it is pretty slushy and gross out there right now :S If you need a running buddy, let me know! (when its warmer, obvs)

      Delete
  3. I signed up for a warrior dash on a whim recently! Knowing you have to run more than a mile is great incentive to get in shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh my friend did that last year! It looked like so much fun!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover