Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The $15 Fall Challenge: Reveal!

Hey! Welcome back to the $15 Fall Challenge that I announced on Monday! The idea is to makeover an area of your home, with the theme of "fall" using only $15. Basically this limits us to the dollar store, thrift stores, or the garbage.

With that in mind, I went dollarstore hunting (favourite task of mine) and took my TV stand from this:

To this!

Here is a project breakdown from side to side.

Left side:

Over here I reused a lot of things that I already owned, like the jewellery box, owl, candle in vase, and my turtle. Turtles may not be fall-like, but gosh darn he was the perfect shade of mustard yellow! I picked up a few pine cones from the dollar store to add a little fall nature in here too.

I also put a white runner along the whole TV stand (crocheted?) to give the white wood top a more cozy feel. I got this at the dollarstore too! One was too small so I cut the ends off two and sewed them together. I accidentally bought two slightly different patterns (oops!) but you can barely tell. Or that's what I tell myself.

Right side:

For this side, I only reused the vase, owl candle holder, and the wooden star puzzle. I got the pumpkins and pine cones as a little bundle at the dollar store. Bright orange pumpkins aren't my thing, so I wanted to paint them gold. However the dollarstore was out of gold paint! I didn't have time to look elsewhere so I picked up some weird gel gold glitter paint. When I got home I painted them white and them panted the gold overtop. They kind of turned out like aged, glittery pumpkins? But I liked them!

However my favourite part is the vase. This was a cheap $4 vase I got in the summer (the dollarstore also has lots of vases). I used my glue gun to wrap warm grey yarn around the outside. Did not take long and it looks amazing! Then I plopped in these great faux flowers from the dollarstore and added in a mirror that I also found there.

Total cost of my makeover:
2 runners: $3
Pumpkins & pinecones: $4
Mirror: $2
Paint: $1
Flowers: $3

Total makeover cost: $14.69 after tax! Right on budget!

The other challengers should also be posting their projects today, so please check them out too! We are supposed to do a reveal of each others projects on Friday, but I am on vacation so I won't be able to. Please send them my love because I am sure they did an awesome job and I can't wait to see!



My Fellow Challengers:

Abby @ The Crabby Fox

Jeanette @ This Dusty House

15 comments:

  1. Wow! You did very well at your dollar store - I went to dollarama and I had quite a bit of trouble.
    I really like those yellow flowers, and wrapping the vase is aneat idea - I may need to try it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I think when I am back from vacation I may have the time to write a better post on the vase- i loved it too!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I love the pumpkins. They would have been amazing gold, but they might be even more amazing like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cant wait to see everyones when I get back. I dont get online for too long these days

      Delete
  3. I am super jealous of your yellow turtle. You could have just decorated him for fall and called it a day. He's so cute! I love the final project, though, and I think using things you already own is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the vase and I think I bought the same pumpkin/pine cone bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh! I just love that little turtle. He's so cute. Also, do you mind if I ask where you got that Toronto print? It would be the most perfect gift for my bf! Is it too early to be Christmas shopping? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ork Posters sells it http://www.orkposters.com/toronto.html

      it was a bit of an odd size, but i found a frame at an art supply store

      Delete
  6. Love the owls! And well done getting this done before your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, i have a bit of an owl obsession. I am trying to cut back before my condo becomes an owlery (or however u spell it)

      Delete
  7. Looks great! I really like the yellow faux flowers and how they really punch it up with colour. Have a fun &safe trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the owl vase, where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a candle holder. I got it last year from bath and body works

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover