Thursday, August 23, 2012

Maximizing Bathroom Storage

Ok, this is a little hard to write, but I am putting the bath reno on the backburner. Not that I'm not going to do it, but that the actual install is going to have to wait until this winter when I am done my Anthralin treatment. Why? Because the treatment stains everything, especially caulk and grout! So I don't want to build this beautiful bathroom and then ruin it right away. I am going to spend the next couple months sourcing materials, buying tile and a vanity, and figuring out who will do the install. It is a tight space, so any imperfection will be magnified times 100. There is some sort of imperfection per square foot rule, I swear. So I need a top notch tiler person.

In the meantime, I plan on doing some updates to the bathroom that I CAN do and I will leaving tile work (and therefore vanity since I need to tile before it is installed) and I will share those and share my tile and vanity choices as they come!

So for today, I was focusing on cleaning up under the sink. I don't know about you, but I get gifted like a MILLION bubble bath, body wash, creams, etc (apparently I stink or something) and I kinda throw it all under the sink until I finish the one currently in use. Where hey get mixed in with the 10 toothpastes I bought on sale and other randomness that lives under the sink. I think for my next vanity I want drawers, but with my pipes in the center of the wall, that may mean a lot of pre-measuring and may not work.

Anywho, here was the poor state of under my sink:

I have way too much bathroom stuff. Seriously.

The right side is clearly nice and clean with it's little shelf. I keep TP under it and my hair tools on top. But the left side? Well I am pretty sure something exploded over there.

I grabbed some clean white boxes from Ikea and sorted the stuff into two categories and put the more-often-used stuff in the top box.


I then placed both boxes under the sink and Voila! Neat and organized! It is much easier to find stuff now and there is no avalanche when I go to open the doors. I didn't both labeling the boxes because I know which is which!


The best part is that this size box fit perfectly! I didn't measure beforehand but as you can see they fit right behind the door hinges and in the back they fit right beside and in front of the pipes.


So that was my quick little clean up for the day to help my bathroom feel more "zen" and spa-like! Honestly this project took me 5 minutes (well 10 if you count building the boxes) so I can't believe it took me so long!

5 comments:

  1. now you have a picture so it is proof!! and yes, it is so easy to straighten it...why do we all let it get such a mess? probably because none sees it. you motivated me...
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to keep under the sinks organized too- even though it's behind closed doors- it's still nice! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those boxes were clearly a neat idea. I have so much bath essentials too. I tried putting them beside the sink, but it just crowded the whole thing. Anyway, my husband just added another cabinet and it sure did become a home to my many products. My bathroom wasn’t so spa-like before until I changed the wall color to mint green. Now it’s more relaxing to look at. =)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover