Monday, April 23, 2012

Colour Inspiration!

I think it is very important when trying to pull together a cohesive home, that you find a set of colours that you love together and work to find pieces in those colours. You definitely want a few choices of colours so that it isn't matchy-matchy. Now, it is not a perfect art, because of course you will love items not in your "colour range" but I think it is ok to accessorize a little outside of the box if the core items reflect the theme.

You may find inspiration in a lot of different ways. Perhaps it is in a favourite painting, quilt, or just some inspiration photo you cut out of a magazine. YoungHouseLove (one of my favourite blogs) uses a napkin they love as a key tool to base their colours around.

I have been thinking hard about what my inspiration should be. My condo used to be very red-black-white. But as I have established- I am sick of red-black-white!! Well, maybe not white. White is still my home-girl. :)

However today I came across a photo on Pinterest that I think may become my inspiration:
Photo source http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/stained-tones
I really like this photo! I definitely have the white going on in my furniture, and the grey will be coming in soon in a big way! I am loving turquoise and it currently can be seen in my armoire. I have been feeling greens and yellows lately too! I am not too sure about the pinks, but I certainly don't think an inspiration photo needs to be followed to a T.

Here are some inspiration rooms that have a similar theme:
  
Photo source http://www.houseofturquoise.com/2008/05/green-blueand-yellow.html

Photo source http://www.louiserastall.com/index.htm
Photo source Pinterest (link didn't work)

Photo source Pinterest (link didn't work)
See? It can be done in different amounts of impact! The first photo is a bit over the top for me. Since my place is only one room, it needs to be a bit more neutralized. The second photo is too much white for me. It is adorable in this small photo, but I think across a large room it would get boring fast. The third photo happened to incorporate a bit of pink too! I think they stole my inspiration photo. This is closer to how I could see my place turning out. Neutral, but with pops of colours. However I hope my pops are a bit more dominating than the subtle look here. The last photo is total eye candy to me, so maybe I will end up closer to this? I love that there is an owl in there too!

I am hoping that now that I have my colours picked I will be able to make choices quicker and not have to worry so much about how a new item will fit into my condo aesthetically.So look out for some new stuff showing up in this theme! Except for yellow because I find it IMPOSSIBLE to find. Grrr.

What colours do you like in your home? Does anyone else crave some happy colours now that summer is starting to show up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover